How to Enroll In an LPN Program near Chesterfield South Carolina
Now that you have decided on a rewarding vocation in the field of nursing, it’s imperative that you choose a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) program near Chesterfield SC that will furnish the necessary training. If you reside in Texas or California, then you will be looking for a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) school instead. There is no difference, except for the names, between an LPN and an LVN. They both undertake the same job functions and work in medical facilities under the guidance of Registered Nurses (RN) or Doctors. However their duties do differ depending on the state they practice in, which we will talk about in the next section. When initiating their search for LPN schools, many future nursing students begin with those that are the closest to their residences or that are the least expensive. While price and location are significant considerations, they are not the only qualifications that you should base your selection on. Other concerns, for example if the schools are accredited or have high pass rates on the licensing exam are extremely important as well. There are additional questions that you should ask prospective schools before enrolling in an LPN program that we will address later in this article. But first, let’s take a look at the function of an LPN and what is involved in the education and licensing process.
What is an LPN in Chesterfield SC?
Licensed Practical Nurses have numerous functions that they perform in the Chesterfield SC health facilities where they work. As their titles imply, they are required to be licensed in all states, including South Carolina. While they may be accountable for supervising Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves generally work under the direction of either an RN or a doctor. The health care facilities where they work are numerous and diverse, for instance hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Virtually any place that you can encounter patients requiring medical care is their dominion. Every state not only regulates their licensing, but also what duties an LPN can and can’t perform. So depending on the state, their everyday work activities might include:
- Measuring vital signs
- Providing medications
- Initiating IV drips
- Overseeing patients
- Taking blood or urine samples
- Managing patient records
- Helping doctors or Registered nurses with procedures
Along with their work functions being regulated by each state, the health facilities or other Chesterfield SC healthcare providers where LPNs work can further limit their job duties within those parameters. Also, they can work in different specialties of nursing, including long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs in South Carolina
There are generally two scholastic credentials available that provide education to become an LPN. The one that may be completed in the shortest time frame, usually about twelve months, is the certificate or diploma program. The second option is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma option and typically require 2 years to complete. The benefit of Associate Degrees, aside from supplying a higher credential and more comprehensive instruction, are that they furnish more transferrable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the kind of credential you seek, it needs to be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC attests that the course of study properly prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
LPN Programs Online
Enrolling in LPN programs online is growing into a more favored way to get instruction and earn a nursing certificate or degree in Chesterfield SC. Certain schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and almost all programs call for a certain amount of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training can be accessed online, this alternative may be a more practical approach to finding the free time to attend college for some students. Pertaining to tuition, a number of online degree programs are less costly than other on campus choices. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be reduced, helping to make education more economical. And a large number of online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. Therefore if your job and household obligations have left you with little time to pursue your academic goals, perhaps an online LPN training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
What to Ask LPN Schools
Once you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, and if you will attend classes on campus or on the web, you can utilize the following pointers to begin narrowing down your choices. As you no doubt are aware, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges near Chesterfield SC as well as within South Carolina and throughout the United States. So it is essential to reduce the number of schools to choose from so that you will have a manageable list. As we earlier pointed out, the location of the school as well as the expense of tuition are probably going to be the first two things that you will look at. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your final choice, use the following questions to evaluate how your selection compares to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program as well as the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting agency. In addition to helping confirm that you get a quality education, it may assist in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are frequently not offered for non-accredited schools near Chesterfield SC.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for LPNs vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) in addition to graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specified number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are attending not only delivers a top-notch education, but also prepares you to satisfy the minimum licensing requirements for South Carolina or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Look at online rating companies to see what the assessments are for all of the LPN schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews as well. In addition, get in touch with the South Carolina school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can call some local Chesterfield SC healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN schools you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a superb reputation within the Chesterfield SC medical community, but that it also has the network of relationships to help students attain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to acquire experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a certain number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing as well. Check if the schools have a working relationship with local Chesterfield SC community hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the placing of students in internships.
Considering LPN School in Chesterfield South Carolina?
Chesterfield, South Carolina
Chesterfield is a town in Chesterfield County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 1,472 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Chesterfield County. At the time of the 2010 census, Chesterfield was the least populous of all of South Carolina's county seats but was second only to Florence in growth rate among municipalities of 1,000 or more residents since 2000 in the Pee Dee region.
Chesterfield was established in 1785 when the County Court Act divided St. David's Parish into three districts and a court house was designated for Chesterfield County. Chesterfield, originally known as "Chesterfield Court House," has an active past that is an important part of its present with a positive influence on its future.
Dr. W. J. Perry House, 321 East Main Street. This house was built in 1914-15 for Dr. Perry and of note are the tin ceilings. The house was home to the County Department of Social Services from 1952-1978.
Chesterfield Baptist Church, corner of East Main Street and Craig Street. This imposing brick edifice was constructed in 1928. In 1933, the bell from the Old Church was donated to Wake Forest University.
Choose the Right LPN Program near Chesterfield SC
Picking the right Licensed Practical Nurse school is potentially the most critical first step to starting a new career in the medical care field. There are various aspects that you need to take into account when choosing a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career objectives, obligations, and economic status. As we have highlighted within this content, it is important that you choose an RN school and a degree program that are both accredited and have excellent reputations within the healthcare community. By utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a short list of schools to pick from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your hard work and desire to succeed, you can become a Licensed Practical Nurse in Chesterfield SC.
More Cities of Interest in South Carolina