How to Find the Right LPN Program near Hollywood South Carolina
Once you have decided on a rewarding vocation in the field of nursing, it’s important that you choose a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) program near Hollywood SC that will provide the proper training. If you live in Texas or California, then you will be searching for a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) school instead. There is no difference, except for the names, between an LPN and an LVN. They both perform the same job functions and work in healthcare facilities under the supervision of Registered Nurses (RN) or Doctors. But their functions do vary depending on the state they practice in, which we will talk about in the following section. When starting their search for LPN schools, many prospective nursing students start with the ones that are the closest to their homes or that are the least expensive. Even though cost and location are significant factors, they are not the only qualifications that you should base your decision on. Other factors, for example if the schools are accredited or have high pass rates on the licensing exam are extremely important too. There are even more questions that you should ask potential schools before enrolling in an LPN program that we will cover later in this article. But to start with, let’s take a look at the function of an LPN and what is involved in the education and licensing process.
What is an LPN in Hollywood SC?
Licensed Practical Nurses have many functions that they complete in the Hollywood SC medical facilities where they work. As their titles imply, they are required to be licensed in all states, including South Carolina. While they may be accountable for supervising Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves generally work under the direction of either an RN or a doctor. The medical care facilities where they work are numerous and varied, for instance hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Virtually any place that you can encounter patients requiring medical care is their domain. Each state not only regulates their licensing, but also what functions an LPN can and can’t perform. So based on the state, their routine work activities can include:
- Checking vital signs
- Giving medicines
- Setting up IV drips
- Overseeing patients
- Collecting blood or urine samples
- Taking care of patient records
- Helping physicians or Registered nurses with procedures
Along with their occupational duties being mandated by each state, the medical facilities or other Hollywood SC healthcare providers where LPNs work can further limit their job roles within those parameters. Additionally, they can work in numerous specialties of nursing, which include long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs in South Carolina
There are generally two scholastic credentials available that provide instruction to become an LPN. The one that can be completed in the shortest period of time, normally about twelve months, is the certificate or diploma program. The second alternative is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma alternative and usually require 2 years to complete. The advantage of Associate Degrees, aside from providing a higher credential and more comprehensive training, are that they provide more transferrable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the kind of credential you pursue, it should be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC warrants that the course of study properly prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Online LPN Programs
Enrolling in LPN programs online is becoming a more preferred way to obtain instruction and earn a nursing certificate or degree in Hollywood SC. Some schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and nearly all programs require a specified number of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare center. But since the balance of the training can be accessed online, this method may be a more convenient answer to finding the time to attend college for some students. Regarding tuition, many online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus choices. Even additional expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be minimized, helping to make education more affordable. And a large number of online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. So if your work and family obligations have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, perhaps an online LPN training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your active schedule.
Things to Ask LPN Schools
Once you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, as well as if you will attend classes on campus or on the web, you can use the following guidelines to begin narrowing down your choices. As you probably are aware, there are many nursing schools and colleges near Hollywood SC as well as within South Carolina and throughout the United States. So it is necessary to lower the number of schools to choose from so that you will have a workable list. As we earlier mentioned, the location of the school along with the expense of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the primary two things that you will take into consideration. But as we also stressed, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your final selection, use the following questions to see how your pick compares to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program along with the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting agency. In addition to helping make sure that you receive an excellent education, it may assist in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are often not offered for non-accredited schools near Hollywood SC.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for LPNs vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) in addition to graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a specified number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers a top-notch education, but also prepares you to meet the minimum licensing requirements for South Carolina or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Check online rating companies to see what the assessments are for each of the LPN schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews as well. In addition, contact the South Carolina school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some local Hollywood SC healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN programs you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a good reputation within the Hollywood SC healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to help students obtain a position.
- Internship Programs. The best way to obtain experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a certain number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing as well. Find out if the schools have associations with nearby Hollywood SC community hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the positioning of students in internships.
Considering LPN School in Hollywood South Carolina?
Hollywood, South Carolina
Hollywood is a town in Charleston County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 4,714 at the 2010 census, up from 3,946 in 2000. Hollywood is part of the Charleston, South Carolina metropolitan area and the Charleston-North Charleston Urbanized Area.
Hollywood is located in western Charleston County at 32°44′48″N 80°13′34″W / 32.7467°N 80.2260°W / 32.7467; -80.2260 (32.7467, -80.2260). It is bordered by Ravenel to the north and Meggett to the south. Charleston is 21 miles (34 km) to the east.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Hollywood has a total area of 24.5 square miles (63.5 km2), of which 23.1 square miles (59.9 km2) is land and 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2), or 5.64%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,946 people, 1,392 households, and 1,056 families residing in the town. The population density was 196.8 people per square mile (76.0/km2). There were 1,516 housing units at an average density of 75.6 per square mile (29.2/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 68.78% African American, 29.78% White, 0.15% Native American, 0.10% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.79% from other races, and 0.38% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.72% of the population.
Enroll in the Right LPN Program near Hollywood SC
Selecting the right Licensed Practical Nurse school is potentially the most critical step to starting a new career in the healthcare field. There are numerous aspects that you must consider when selecting a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently depending on your current career objectives, lifestyle, and economic situation. As we have highlighted in this post, it is critical that you choose an RN school and a degree program that are both accredited and have exceptional reputations within the medical community. By using our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a shortlist of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your hard work and desire to succeed, you can become an LPN in Hollywood SC.
More Cities of Interest in South Carolina
Business Results 1 - 10 of 95