How to Enroll In an LPN Program near Moore South Carolina
Now that you have chosen a fulfilling career in the field of nursing, it’s essential that you select a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) program near Moore SC that will furnish the right training. If you live in Texas or California, then you will be looking for a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) school instead. There is no difference, other than the names, between an LPN and an LVN. They both perform the same job functions and work in health care facilities under the supervision of Registered Nurses (RN) or Doctors. However their duties do vary depending on the state they practice in, which we will look at in the next section. When beginning their search for LPN schools, many future nursing students begin with the ones that are the closest to their homes or that are the least costly. Even though cost and location are important considerations, they are not the only qualifications that you should base your decision on. Other factors, such as if the schools are accredited or have high pass rates on the licensing exam are extremely important also. There are various other questions that you should ask prospective schools before enrolling in an LPN program that we will talk about later in this article. But first, let’s have a look at the role of an LPN and what is involved in the education and licensing process.
What is an LPN in Moore SC?
Licensed Practical Nurses have many functions that they carry out in the Moore SC healthcare facilities where they practice. As their titles imply, they are required to be licensed in all states, including South Carolina. Even though they may be responsible for managing Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves normally work under the supervision of either an RN or a doctor. The medical facilities where they work are numerous and diverse, including hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Virtually any place that you can find patients seeking medical assistance is their dominion. Each state not only oversees their licensing, but also what work activities an LPN can and can’t perform. So depending on the state, their daily job activities may include:
- Taking vital signs
- Administering medications
- Setting up IV drips
- Observing patients
- Collecting blood or urine samples
- Keeping patient records
- Helping physicians or Registered nurses with procedures
In addition to their occupational responsibilities being regulated by each state, the health care facilities or other Moore SC healthcare providers where LPNs work can additionally limit their job duties within those parameters. Additionally, they can work in different specialties of nursing, for instance long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs in South Carolina
There are principally two academic accreditations offered that provide training to become an LPN. The one that can be completed in the shortest amount of time, generally about twelve months, is the certificate or diploma program. The other option is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma alternative and normally require 2 years to finish. The advantage of Associate Degrees, aside from supplying a higher credential and more in-depth instruction, are that they furnish more transferrable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the kind of credential you pursue, it should be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or another national accrediting organization. The NLNAC guarantees that the core curriculum adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Online LPN Programs
Attending LPN schools online is growing into a more preferred way to get training and attain a nursing certificate or degree in Moore SC. Many schools will require attending on campus for a component of the training, and almost all programs require a specific number of clinical rotation hours completed in a local healthcare facility. But since the balance of the training may be accessed online, this option may be a more practical approach to finding the free time to attend classes for many students. Concerning tuition, a number of online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus choices. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be minimized, helping to make education more economical. And numerous online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. So if your work and family obligations have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, maybe an online LPN school will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
Things to Ask LPN Schools
Once you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, and if you will attend classes on campus or on the internet, you can utilize the following checklist to start narrowing down your choices. As you undoubtedly realize, there are many nursing schools and colleges near Moore SC as well as within South Carolina and throughout the United States. So it is important to reduce the number of schools to select from so that you will have a workable list. As we previously pointed out, the site of the school as well as the price of tuition are probably going to be the first two things that you will take into consideration. But as we also stressed, they should not be your only qualifiers. So before making your ultimate selection, use the following questions to see how your selection measures up to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program as well as the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Aside from helping ensure that you obtain a quality education, it may help in obtaining financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not offered for non-accredited schools near Moore SC.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for LPNs vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a specified number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are attending not only provides an excellent education, but also prepares you to meet the minimum licensing requirements for South Carolina or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check online rating companies to see what the evaluations are for all of the LPN schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews as well. Additionally, contact the South Carolina school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some nearby Moore SC healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN schools you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a superb reputation within the Moore SC medical community, but that it also has the network of relationships to help students gain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to obtain experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a certain number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing too. Find out if the schools have associations with local Moore SC community hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the positioning of students in internships.
Considering LPN School in Moore South Carolina?
Moore, South Carolina
At one point, Moore was home to the studio of the Marshall Tucker band. The band is now defunct and the studio is no longer used, but it still stands on Main Street (South Carolina Highway 290) beside the post office and Presbyterian Church. Moore is also home to Walnut Grove Plantation, one of the first colonial English settlements in South Carolina. It was instrumental as a bastion of patriotism during the American Revolutionary War. Moore is the former home of the Bruns Racing Team, which recently refocused its efforts from car racing to airplanes and scuba diving.
Moore boasts three schools. They are part of the Spartanburg District 5 and 6 School system. First is R.D. Anderson Applied Technology and Vocational School, the tech prep center for Byrnes, Dorman, and Woodruff High Schools. River Ridge Elementary is the newest elementary school in Spartanburg District 5. Also, Anderson Mill Elementary School, a part of Spartanburg District 6, and Dawkins Middle School, also part of Spartanburg District 6, are located in Moore.
Pick the Right LPN School near Moore SC
Picking the right Licensed Practical Nurse program is arguably the most critical step to beginning a new career in the medical care industry. There are a number of factors that you must think about when picking a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently contingent on your existing career goals, obligations, and economic status. As we have stressed within this post, it is essential that you pick an RN college and a degree program that are each accredited and have excellent reputations within the medical community. By using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a short list of schools to select from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your hard work and ambition to succeed, you can become a Licensed Practical Nurse in Moore SC.
More Cities of Interest in South Carolina
Business Results 1 - 10 of 61