How to Pick an LPN School near Yulee Florida
Once you have chosen a fulfilling vocation in the field of nursing, it’s imperative that you choose a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) school near Yulee FL that will deliver the necessary education. If you reside in Texas or California, then you will be searching for a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) school instead. There is no distinction, except for the names, between an LPN and an LVN. They both undertake the same job functions and work in medical facilities under the guidance of Registered Nurses (RN) or Doctors. However their responsibilities do vary depending on the state they practice in, which we will address in the next segment. When beginning their search for LPN schools, many prospective nursing students start with those that are the closest to their houses or that are the least expensive. While price and location are significant points to consider, they are not the only criteria that you should base your selection on. Other variables, for example if the schools are accredited or have high pass rates on the licensing exam are extremely important also. There are additional questions that you should ask prospective schools before enrolling in an LPN program that we will discuss later in this article. But to start with, let’s take a look at the role of an LPN and what is involved in the training and licensing process.
What is an LPN in Yulee FL?
Licensed Practical Nurses have a number of duties that they complete in the Yulee FL medical facilities where they practice. As their titles imply, they are mandated to be licensed in all states, including Florida. While they may be responsible for monitoring Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves generally work under the direction of either an RN or a doctor. The medical facilities where they work are numerous and varied, including hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Anyplace that you can find patients requiring medical treatment is their dominion. Every state not only oversees their licensing, but also what work activities an LPN can and can’t perform. So based on the state, their day-to-day work activities can include:
- Taking vital signs
- Administering medicines
- Starting IV drips
- Monitoring patients
- Getting blood or urine samples
- Keeping patient records
- Assisting doctors or RNs with procedures
Along with their work responsibilities being governed by each state, the health care facilities or other Yulee FL healthcare providers where LPNs work can further limit their job roles within those parameters. Additionally, they can practice in various specialties of nursing, for instance long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs in Florida
There are basically two academic accreditations offered that provide training to become an LPN. The one that may be concluded in the shortest period of time, typically about 1 year, is the certificate or diploma program. The 2nd alternative is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and usually require 2 years to complete. The advantage of Associate Degrees, along with providing a higher credential and more in-depth instruction, are that they provide more transferrable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the kind of credential you seek, it should be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC warrants that the course of study adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Online LPN Programs
Enrolling in LPN programs online is emerging as a more in demand way to get instruction and attain a nursing certificate or degree in Yulee FL. Many schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and virtually all programs require a specified number of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this method may be a more practical approach to finding the time to attend college for some students. Concerning tuition, a number of online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus options. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be lessened, helping to make education more easily affordable. And a large number of online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. And so if your work and household obligations have left you with very little time to work toward your academic goals, it could be that an online LPN training program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
What to Ask LPN Programs
Once you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, as well as if you will attend classes on campus or on the web, you can use the following checklist to begin narrowing down your choices. As you probably realize, there are many nursing schools and colleges near Yulee FL as well as within Florida and throughout the United States. So it is essential to decrease the number of schools to select from to ensure that you will have a workable list. As we previously mentioned, the location of the school along with the price of tuition are probably going to be the initial two things that you will take into consideration. But as we also stressed, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate choice, use the following questions to see how your selection measures up to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program as well as the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Besides helping ensure that you receive an excellent education, it may help in obtaining financial aid or student loans, which are often not provided for non-accredited schools near Yulee FL.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for LPNs differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) along with graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specified number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are enrolled in not only provides an exceptional education, but also readies you to satisfy the minimum licensing standards for Florida or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check online rating companies to see what the assessments are for each of the LPN schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews too. In addition, get in touch with the Florida school licensing authority to determine if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some local Yulee FL healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN programs you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a favorable reputation within the Yulee FL medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students gain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to get experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Almost all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing also. Check if the schools have a working relationship with local Yulee FL community hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the positioning of students in internships.
Considering LPN School in Yulee Florida?
Yulee is a census-designated place (CDP) in Nassau County, Florida, United States. The population is currently 13,037 as of July 2017. Yulee is part of the Jacksonville metropolitan area, which was home to 1,478,212 people in 2017. Today, Yulee is a residential bedroom community for those who commute to Jacksonville, Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, or other locations in Southeast Georgia, but is working to diversify it s tax base.
Yulee is located within 15 miles of Amelia Island and the Jacksonville International Airport and is home to the Florida State College at Jacksonville's Nassau Center, the White Oak Conservation, two renown golf courses, the Nassau Wildlife Management Area, Robert M. Foster Justice Center, Four Creeks State Forest, the Yulee Branch Library, Nassau County Sheriff's Office Headquarters, and the Florida Welcome Center on Interstate 95. In addition Yulee is provided regional services by the Jacksonville Transportation Authority.
The United States Census in 2014 stated that Yulee had a total population of 11,609, and of which 5,564 were male (47.9%) and 6,045 were female (52.1%). The population of Yulee is 2.3% foreign born and 97.7% native born.
In total 4,797 housing units were within the CDP. The racial makeup of the CDP was 89.2% White, 7.0% African American, 0.1% Native American, 1.6% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 0.1% from other races, and 2.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.9% of the population. 77.9% of the population was 18 years of age or older.
Enroll in the Right LPN Program near Yulee FL
Picking the ideal Licensed Practical Nurse program is potentially the most crucial first step to launching a new career in the healthcare field. There are a number of variables that you should think about when selecting a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your existing career goals, obligations, and economic situation. As we have pointed out within this article, it is critical that you pick an RN school and a degree program that are each accredited and have excellent reputations within the healthcare community. By utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a short list of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become a Licensed Practical Nurse in Yulee FL.
More Cities of Interest in Florida
Business Results 1 - 10 of 116