How to Enroll In an LPN School near Waskom Texas
Now that you have decided on a fulfilling career in the field of nursing, it’s essential that you locate a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) program near Waskom TX that will provide the appropriate education. If you reside in Texas or California, then you will be looking for a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) school instead. There is no distinction, aside from the names, between an LPN and an LVN. They both carry out the same job functions and work in healthcare facilities under the guidance of Registered Nurses (RN) or Doctors. But their duties do vary depending on the state they practice in, which we will cover in the following segment. When beginning their search for LPN schools, many prospective nursing students start with the ones that are the closest to their houses or that are the least costly. Although price and location are relevant factors, they are not the only qualifications that you should base your decision on. Other concerns, for instance if the schools are accredited or have high pass rates on the licensing exam are extremely important also. There are even more questions that you should ask potential schools before enrolling in an LPN program that we will talk about later in this article. But to start with, let’s have a look at the function of an LPN and what is involved in the education and licensing process.
What is an LPN in Waskom TX?
Licensed Practical Nurses have many functions that they accomplish in the Waskom TX healthcare facilities where they are employed. As their titles indicate, they are required to be licensed in all states, including Texas. Even though they may be accountable for monitoring Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves generally work under the supervision of either an RN or a doctor. The medical care facilities where they work are numerous and assorted, for example hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Anywhere that you can find patients requiring medical attention is their domain. Each state not only controls their licensing, but also what duties an LPN can and can’t perform. So based on the state, their daily work functions may include:
- Measuring vital signs
- Administering medications
- Initiating IV drips
- Overseeing patients
- Getting blood or urine samples
- Maintaining patient records
- Assisting doctors or RNs with procedures
Along with their job responsibilities being controlled by each state, the healthcare facilities or other Waskom TX healthcare providers where LPNs work can additionally limit their job roles within those parameters. Also, they can work in numerous specialties of nursing, which include long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs in Texas
There are principally two scholastic accreditations offered that provide training to become an LPN. The one that can be concluded in the shortest amount of time, generally about twelve months, is the certificate or diploma program. The 2nd option is to attain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma alternative and typically require 2 years to finish. The advantage of Associate Degrees, aside from providing a higher credential and more extensive instruction, are that they provide more transferrable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the kind of credential you seek, it needs to be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or another national accrediting organization. The NLNAC warrants that the course of study effectively prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
LPN Programs Online
Enrolling in LPN schools online is becoming a more preferred way to receive instruction and acquire a nursing certificate or degree in Waskom TX. Many schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and almost all programs call for a specific number of clinical rotation hours completed in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training can be accessed online, this option may be a more convenient solution to finding the time to attend college for many students. Pertaining to tuition, some online degree programs are less costly than other on campus alternatives. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be minimized, helping to make education more economical. And a large number of online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. So if your work and family commitments have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, perhaps an online LPN training program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your active schedule.
What to Ask LPN Schools
Once you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, and if you will attend classes on campus or on the web, you can use the following guidelines to begin narrowing down your choices. As you no doubt realize, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges near Waskom TX as well as within Texas and throughout the United States. So it is necessary to lower the number of schools to select from so that you will have a workable list. As we earlier discussed, the site of the school and the price of tuition are probably going to be the primary two points that you will look at. But as we also stressed, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your final decision, use the following questions to evaluate how your selection measures up to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program along with the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting agency. Besides helping make sure that you receive a premium education, it may assist in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not available for non-accredited schools near Waskom TX.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing requirements for LPNs vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) along with graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a certain number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are attending not only provides an excellent education, but also preps you to meet the minimum licensing requirements for Texas or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Check online rating services to see what the reviews are for each of the LPN schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews too. Also, check with the Texas school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can call some nearby Waskom TX healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgements are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN programs you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a superb reputation within the Waskom TX healthcare community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students gain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to obtain experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing also. Find out if the schools have a working relationship with local Waskom TX community hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Considering LPN School in Waskom Texas?
Waskom is a city in Harrison County, Texas, United States. It lies about 20 miles (32 km) east of the county seat, Marshall, on U.S. Route 80. To the east is Shreveport, Louisiana. The population was 2,160 at the 2010 census.
Waskom was established in 1850 as a midway point of an east-west (Dallas to Shreveport) cattle and cotton economic travelway to the Red River in Louisiana, some 20 miles (32 km) east. In 1872, it became a main railroad station between Dallas and Shreveport to the west and east respectively and Texarkana to the north. A major railway still travels through Waskom. Today, Waskom sits on Interstate 20, that connects the Carolinas to southwest Texas and Mexico. Waskom won the 3A D2 state title in football in 2014 and 2015.
Waskom is located in eastern Harrison County at 32°28′42″N 94°3′50″W / 32.47833°N 94.06389°W / 32.47833; -94.06389 (32.478416, -94.063769). The eastern border of the city is the Texas–Louisiana border. Interstate 20 provides access to the city from Exit 633 on the west side and Exit 635 to the south. I-20 leads east 20 miles (32 km) to Shreveport and west 166 miles (267 km) to Dallas.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.7 square miles (6.9 km2), all land. The city drains to the north towards Paw Paw Bayou and to the south towards tributaries of Cross Bayou. Both bayous run east to Cross Lake, which flows out to the Red River in Shreveport.
Choose the Right LPN School near Waskom TX
Deciding on the ideal Licensed Practical Nurse school is perhaps the most critical phase to launching a new career in the healthcare field. There are various variables that you should consider when deciding on a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career objectives, obligations, and economic situation. As we have emphasized in this post, it is critical that you select an RN school and a degree program that are each accredited and have excellent reputations within the medical community. By using our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a short list of schools to choose from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your hard work and ambition to succeed, you can become a Licensed Practical Nurse in Waskom TX.
More Cities of Interest in Texas
Business Results 1 - 10 of 37