How to Enroll In an LPN Program near Coalmont Tennessee
Once you have decided on a fulfilling career in the field of nursing, it’s imperative that you choose a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) school near Coalmont TN that will deliver the proper training. If you reside in Texas or California, then you will be searching for a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) school instead. There is no distinction, aside from the names, between an LPN and an LVN. They both perform the same job functions and work in healthcare facilities under the guidance of Registered Nurses (RN) or Doctors. However their duties do fluctuate depending on the state they practice in, which we will look at in the following segment. When beginning their search for LPN schools, many prospective nursing students begin with the ones that are the nearest to their residences or that are the least expensive. Even though tuition and location are significant considerations, they are not the only qualifications that you should base your decision on. Other factors, for example if the schools are accredited or have high pass rates on the licensing exam are extremely important also. There are various other questions that you should ask potential schools before enrolling in an LPN program that we will talk about later in this article. But to start with, let’s have a look at the role of an LPN and what is involved in the education and licensing process.
What is an LPN in Coalmont TN?
Licensed Practical Nurses have a number of tasks that they complete in the Coalmont TN health care facilities where they practice. As their titles indicate, they are mandated to be licensed in all states, including Tennessee. While they may be accountable for supervising Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves normally work under the direction of either an RN or a doctor. The medical facilities where they work are numerous and varied, for instance hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Anywhere that you can encounter patients requiring medical assistance is their dominion. Each state not only controls their licensing, but also what duties an LPN can and can’t perform. So based on the state, their daily job functions can include:
- Checking vital signs
- Providing medications
- Setting up IV drips
- Observing patients
- Taking blood or urine samples
- Maintaining patient records
- Assisting doctors or Registered nurses with procedures
Along with their job responsibilities being regulated by each state, the health facilities or other Coalmont TN healthcare providers where LPNs work can further limit their job duties within those parameters. Additionally, they can work in different specialties of nursing, for instance long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs in Tennessee
There are essentially two academic accreditations offered that provide training to become an LPN. The one that may be completed in the shortest time period, usually about 12 months, is the certificate or diploma course. The 2nd option is to attain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and generally require 2 years to complete. The benefit of Associate Degrees, aside from supplying a higher credential and more in-depth training, are that they furnish more transferrable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the type of credential you seek, it should be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or another national accrediting organization. The NLNAC attests that the course of study effectively prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Online LPN Programs
Enrolling in LPN programs online is becoming a more popular way to obtain training and earn a nursing certificate or degree in Coalmont TN. Many schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and virtually all programs call for a specific number of clinical rotation hours completed in a local healthcare facility. But since the remainder of the training may be accessed online, this option may be a more accommodating solution to finding the time to attend college for many students. Pertaining to tuition, many online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus options. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be reduced, helping to make education more affordable. And numerous online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. So if your work and family responsibilities have left you with very little time to work toward your academic goals, maybe an online LPN school will make it easier to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
What to Ask LPN Programs
Once you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, as well as if you will attend classes on campus or online, you can use the following checklist to start narrowing down your choices. As you probably realize, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges near Coalmont TN as well as within Tennessee and throughout the United States. So it is important to decrease the number of schools to select from in order that you will have a workable list. As we already discussed, the site of the school and the price of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the first two things that you will take into consideration. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your final decision, use the following questions to see how your selection compares to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program in addition to the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Besides helping verify that you get a quality education, it may assist in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are frequently not provided for non-accredited schools near Coalmont TN.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for LPNs are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) in addition to graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specific number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are attending not only delivers an exceptional education, but also preps you to satisfy the minimum licensing requirements for Tennessee or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Look at online rating services to see what the assessments are for each of the LPN schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews as well. In addition, check with the Tennessee school licensing authority to determine if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some local Coalmont TN healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN programs you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a good reputation within the Coalmont TN healthcare community, but that it also has the network of relationships to help students attain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to acquire experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing also. Find out if the schools have associations with local Coalmont TN community hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the placement of students in internships.
Considering LPN School in Coalmont Tennessee?
Coalmont was established as a coal mining company town around 1904, operated by the Sewanee Coal, Coke and Land Company. Residences, businesses and commercial buildings in Coalmont were built and owned by the company, but individual miners could also build their own homes. A battery of coke ovens dating from the first decade of the 20th century is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Coalmont Bank Building also is listed.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.1 square miles (16 km2), of which, 5.9 square miles (15 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (2.14%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 948 people, 369 households, and 281 families residing in the city. The population density was 159.4 people per square mile (61.5/km²). There were 404 housing units at an average density of 67.9 per square mile (26.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 99.26% White, 0.11% African American, 0.11% Native American, and 0.53% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.21% of the population.
There were 369 households out of which 36.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.3% were married couples living together, 15.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.6% were non-families. 19.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 2.97.
Choose the Right LPN School near Coalmont TN
Deciding on the right Licensed Practical Nurse school is perhaps the most crucial first step to beginning a new career in the health care industry. There are many variables that you must take into account when choosing a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career objectives, lifestyle, and financial status. As we have stressed in this post, it is critical that you select an RN school and a degree program that are both accredited and have excellent reputations within the healthcare community. By utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a short list of schools to choose from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your dedication and ambition to succeed, you can become an LPN in Coalmont TN.
More Cities of Interest in Tennessee
Business Results 1 - 10 of 4