How to Choose an LPN Program near Fairview Tennessee
Now that you have decided on a fulfilling vocation in the field of nursing, it’s essential that you find a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) school near Fairview TN that will provide the appropriate education. If you live in Texas or California, then you will be searching for a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) school instead. There is no distinction, except for the names, between an LPN and an LVN. They both carry out the same job functions and work in medical facilities under the guidance of Registered Nurses (RN) or Doctors. However their responsibilities do differ depending on the state they practice in, which we will cover in the next segment. When starting their search for LPN schools, many prospective nursing students begin with those that are the nearest to their houses or that are the least expensive. While cost and location are significant considerations, they are not the only qualifications that you should base your selection on. Other concerns, for example if the schools are accredited or have high pass rates on the licensing exam are extremely important too. There are additional questions that you should ask potential schools before enrolling in an LPN program that we will address later in this article. But to start with, let’s have a look at the function of an LPN and what is involved in the training and licensing process.
What is an LPN in Fairview TN?
Licensed Practical Nurses have numerous duties that they complete in the Fairview TN healthcare facilities where they practice. As their titles imply, they are required to be licensed in all states, including Tennessee. Although they may be responsible for supervising Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves generally work under the oversight of either an RN or a doctor. The healthcare facilities where they work are numerous and varied, for instance hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Anyplace that you can find patients seeking medical assistance is their domain. Every state not only regulates their licensing, but also what functions an LPN can and can’t perform. So depending on the state, their daily work activities might include:
- Measuring vital signs
- Administering medications
- Initiating IV drips
- Overseeing patients
- Getting blood or urine samples
- Keeping patient records
- Supporting physicians or RNs with procedures
Along with their work functions being regulated by each state, the medical facilities or other Fairview TN healthcare providers where LPNs work can further limit their job duties within those parameters. Also, they can practice in different specialties of nursing, including long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs in Tennessee
There are basically two academic credentials available that provide instruction to become an LPN. The one that may be finished in the shortest period of time, typically about 1 year, is the certificate or diploma program. The next choice is to earn a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma option and commonly require 2 years to finish. The advantage of Associate Degrees, in addition to supplying a higher credential and more in-depth training, are that they provide more transferrable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the type of credential you pursue, it needs to be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or another national accrediting organization. The NLNAC guarantees that the course of study adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
LPN Programs Online
Enrolling in LPN programs online is becoming a more popular way to get training and acquire a nursing certificate or degree in Fairview TN. Certain schools will require attending on campus for a component of the training, and almost all programs call for a specified number of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this alternative may be a more convenient approach to finding the time to attend school for some students. Pertaining to tuition, a number of online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus options. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be minimized, helping to make education more easily affordable. And many online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. And so if your job and family responsibilities have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, maybe an online LPN training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
Things to Ask LPN Programs
Now that you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, and if you will attend classes on campus or online, you can utilize the following pointers to start narrowing down your choices. As you no doubt realize, there are many nursing schools and colleges near Fairview TN as well as within Tennessee and throughout the United States. So it is important to decrease the number of schools to choose from so that you will have a manageable list. As we previously discussed, the location of the school and the expense of tuition are most likely going to be the first two points that you will look at. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So before making your final choice, use the following questions to evaluate how your selection compares to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program as well as the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting organization. Besides helping verify that you get a premium education, it may help in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are often not provided for non-accredited schools near Fairview TN.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for LPNs vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) in addition to graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specified number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are attending not only delivers an outstanding education, but also readies you to meet the minimum licensing requirements for Tennessee or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Look at online rating companies to see what the assessments are for all of the LPN schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews as well. Also, get in touch with the Tennessee school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some local Fairview TN healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN programs you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a good reputation within the Fairview TN medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students gain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to get experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing as well. Check if the schools have associations with nearby Fairview TN community hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Considering LPN School in Fairview Tennessee?
Fairview is a city located in Williamson County, Tennessee. It is part of the Nashville metropolitan area. The population was 7,720 at the 2010 census, which was a 33.1% increase in population from the 2000 census. In the communities just outside Fairview, there are an additional 4,100 people, there are over 11,000 people living within the Fairview area.
Fairview was incorporated on July 28, 1959, under the Uniform City Manager-Commission Charter as set out in the Tennessee Code Annotated. Fairview was originally known as "Jingo." Fairview city limits is located about one mile southwest from the Nashville-Davidson County line and has two interstates passing through it (I-40 & I-840). With an average elevation of 800 feet above sea level, Fairview is about 150 feet higher than Nashville and surrounding suburbs which gives Fairview the advantage of being less flood prone.
It is home to Bowie Nature Park which is one of the largest city managed parks (approx 722 acres) in the state of Tennessee. As a comparison, New York's Central Park is 843 acres. Fairview has two Elementary Schools, Fairview, and Westwood serving over 1000 students with grades K-5. Fairview Middle has an enrollment of 800 plus and is home to grades 6th-8th. FVHS serves over 1000 students, and Fairview High School was listed as one of the top 1000 High Schools in the US according to Newsweek Magazine. Fairview schools are part of the Williamson County School system (www.WCS.edu).
It has a recreation center that is part of Williamson County Parks and Recreation system. The center offers civic meeting rooms, WAVES org, exercise classes, a gym with free weights and machines and a large outdoor swimming pool. There is also a full size basketball court that is open for free play.
Choose the Right LPN Program near Fairview TN
Selecting the ideal Licensed Practical Nurse program is arguably the most critical step to starting a new career in the medical care industry. There are numerous variables that you should consider when picking a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your current career objectives, obligations, and economic status. As we have highlighted in this content, it is essential that you choose an RN school and a degree program that are both accredited and have excellent reputations within the health care community. By utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a short list of schools to pick from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your dedication and drive to succeed, you can become an LPN in Fairview TN.
More Cities of Interest in Tennessee
Business Results 1 - 10 of 197